Print - Development relating to artist research.

After looking at the work by Keith Tyson and his use of chance and manipulation, I felt inspired to explore in detail the different ways in which I can move and distort the printing ink. I also wanted to focus on the idea of accidents and how I control them to produce a print just like Tyson uses chance and manipulation to create his work. To do this I used a very simple pallet to allow me to see how the ink can be moved about. Firstly I used a single toned pallet pulling the paper down on the surface, adding the  liquid zest-it to the ink and then moving the paper around on the surface to create different lines and densities of colour. 


(Untitled, print produced by dragging the paper, printing ink, A4)


(Untitled, print using zest-it and dragging and sliding the paper, printing ink, A4)

After this, instead of applying the colour to a solid glass surface I created my idea on a plastic pallet allowing me to move the ink around once zest-it was added instead of moving the ink with the paper. 


(Untitled, print done on plastic pallet using zest it, printing ink, A3)

I found this very interesting as it allowed me to research different ways in which I can move the ink around in preparation for my print. Also using a single and mono-toned pallet allowed me to see this in a simple way without lots of colours being used. To take this idea of manipulating the ink on the surface, I then introduced thought out colour pallets to my prints applying the processes I had previously tried out. I found that introducing colour to the work allows you to see the textures and movement within the ink more effectively compared to my simple ideas done before hand. 


(Untitled, print created by sliding the paper up and down, and using fabrics to make marks, printing ink, A3)


(Untitled, print using thick ink and zest it and dragging motion, printing ink, A3)

After experimenting with how the ink can be moved and then printed with I now wish to continue the project my looking at layering more contrasting colours together like extreme dark to extreme bright colour. When doing this I will apply some of the processes I have researched. I think that I have looked at how I can manipulate the ink quite well so will now look into the colours I use with more detail and consideration, applying them in ways that will help to express the textures and movement within the ink.