Paint - Development relating to crit and artist research.

In relation to my paint crit and also my artist research I wanted to research ideas looking at the city in the dark and contrasting the dark cool tones of the night sky against the more industrial bright lights of the city transport, shops and adverts. To do these ideas I firstly looked at photographs that I took during my research which focused on the elements of light and movement combined. In contrast to my previous ideas I painted onto acetate using a brush to enable me to create smooth more controlled textures in comparison to the more rough course textures of the paint when applied with a pallet knife. 



(Untitled, photo and paint collage using acetate, acrylic, A5)


(Untitled, paint on acetate, acrylic, A4)

Looking at my paintings on acetate I think that due to using a paint brush on a smooth surface like the acetate, the textures are a lot softer and appear to be more controlled compared to the marks created by using the pallet knives. I think that this helps to show the movement of the traffic going through the city. I also like the extreme contrasts between the dark and light tones in particular with the London Eye painting. I think that using high contrasts creates an element of depth that draws the viewer into the picture. This idea of using bright and dark tones was influenced by my artist research on both John Piper and Vincent Van Gogh's painting 'Cafe Terrace at Night'.