Keith Tyson.

As a part of my artist research it was suggested in my print crit that I had a look at the artist Keith Tyson. Tyson is a British artist born in 1969 from Cumbria. His work expresses a fascination with scientific systems and their limitations. One theme that Tyson focuses on is the idea of unpredictability. The artwork produced by Tyson that has most captured my inspiration is his series of 'Nature Paintings' which he began in 2006. Throughout these paintings he explores how making art can communicate the complexity of nature around the world.



(Nature Painting, industrial paint on aluminium, 198cm x 198cm, 2008)

This piece of art work shown above relates to cosmology, physics, meteorology and topography. It makes allusions to the natural world; it reminds me of a satellite image taken from space showing the movement and colours within the surface. Tyson's art work is mostly achieved by chance rather than a particular skill, unlike most artists who are valued for their 'skills'. The colours and shapes created are formed by the reactions between specially mixed paints and chemicals which Tyson pours at different angles and temperatures onto aluminium plates to help achieve different results. 

I find Tyson's work extremely interesting and appealing to the eye. I love the colours and forms produced in the paint that ends up creating a strong sense of movement and texture. Looking at his work it has inspired me to become more experimental with the colour pallets I produce and then print with in my project work. I will continue my ideas attempting to distort and mix the colours in different ways to show experimentation and to also allow me to print different textures. I will look at the shapes and movements within the colours more closely to help me further develop my work.