Drawing - Development relating to crit.

Looking through the points made during my crit for the Journey project I then had an idea of how to further develop and refine my ideas. I began by developing the use of photo collage and pencil as it was mentioned in my crit as being a successful combination of media.To do this I produced a number of small scale ideas looking at ways in which I could combine drawings and photographs. I used combinations of ink, photo and also graphite pencil including more or less of each media. 


(Untitled, ink and photo collage, A5)


(Untitled, ink and photo, A4)


(Untitled, Graphite and photo, A5)

As well as using the combinations of media that worked well I also attempted a new combination of emulsion print and ink as suggested by a peer in my crit.


(Untitled, white emulsion print and ink on canvas)

When I created this, the emulsion print its self didn't work as well as I had hoped. The ink didn't transfer very well due to the printing paper being very thin so when rubbed off most of the picture came of with it instead of the ink remaining behind like it usually does. However you can still make out the faint outlines of the people and buildings so I worked into the picture using black ink. I only used it in certain areas that I felt needed more attention leaving other sections untouched. Even though the image transfer didn't work as well as I had hoped I think that having the picture slightly distorted adds an interesting atmosphere to the scene.

After creating these small scale drawings in relation to my crit I think to further refine these ideas I will scale up some of the compositions and see how they work on a larger scale.