Paint - Development no.2.

Further developing my paint project, and also in relation to my artist research on Sabine Moritz, I have began to look at using people in my ideas to create movement and life and also texture and colour to help create a stronger atmosphere. As well as this I also started to use different tools and medias as well as combinations to show more experimentation within my work. To begin with I looked at using elements of my photography and emulsion prints within my work to create collage pieces consisting of layers to help produce a sense of depth within my ideas. I began by painting onto acetate using well thought out ideas that had an interesting composition reflecting the urban environment. I then looked at layering the acetate paintings on top of original photographs and emulsion prints to create a slightly distorted image consisting of photography and paint. 


(Untitled, acrylic paint on acetate over photograph, November 2013, measurements)


(Untitled, acrylic paint on acetate over photo emulsion print on board, November 2013, A4)

What I like about these pieces are the colours used and also the way they are layered over a photo which creates a distorted almost abstract feel that in turn reflects the atmosphere of the scene being depicted. I chose to use a purple colour pallet to help show the mood of that particular scene. I feel like the use of cool purple tones creates an atmosphere that strongly relates to the subject matter, people going about their unknown day to day lives in the city. 

As well as layering the paint over a photograph I also looked at applying the paint directly onto the picture its self using contrasting colours to enhance the mood and atmosphere of the image. 


(Untitled, acrylic paint over photo collage, November 2013, A3)

What I find interesting about the idea presented above is the fact the colours spread away from the main composition create heightened perspective to draw in the viewer. When producing this I used a pallet knife so I could experiment with using different textures and marks within my work to put and emphasis on the structures and over all city life going on with the image. I find the textures created on this idea are a lot more interesting and visually stimulating compared to the softer brush strokes of my previous ideas.


(Untitled, acrylic paint on photograph, December 2013, A4)

Above is another mixed media piece I created again applied using a pallet knife. I created this by placing the photo in the center of the board and I then painted the gaps using the colour pallet found in the photo. Looking at both ideas where the paint has been applied directly onto the photographs, I feel like the bottom image is more successful. The image above feels unfinished in a way due to the white gaps. however what I do like about it is the strong element of movement created due to the texture and marks applied.