Self directed work in relation to group crit.

As suggested in the the group crit and also in response, I have done some more work looking once again at my use and application of colour. To do some of my ideas I went of previous paintings looking at the colour within the compositions. I also incorporated my use of photography into the ideas as well this time applying a stronger sense of texture the paint used. These ideas also relate to my previous contextual research into the works of Spencer Gore and Oskar Kokoschka who apply bright exaggerated colours to their paintings a long with strong brush marks to help show texture to define the mood and atmosphere of the composition. In my latest pieces of development I wanted to further emphasis the urban atmospheres in my ideas as this, along with my use of structure, is a main element within my concept. 


(Untitled, acrylic on paper using pallet knife, A2)


(Untitled, acrylic on card using brush, A2)


(Untitled, acrylic photo cardboard and varnish collage on paper, A2)

To paint the ideas selected above I used a range of pallet knives and brushes also incorporating relief elements within the ideas using corrugated card. Comparing my piece made using a brush against the pieces using a pallet knife, I feel that the textures made by the brush are very flat and bland where as when using a pallet knife I am able to create rough and smooth layers of texture which helps me to put an emphasis on the marks and colours used within my ideas. This then in turn helps me to generate a stronger atmosphere that is endearing to the spectator. Looking at my use of colour in more detail once again, has made me look more closely at my ideas and how I mix colours to represent different times of day and to generate an urban atmosphere.