Self Directed - Development.

After researching a little into my use of colour producing colour pallets of what I see, in a particular location and how I interpret it, I wanted to take a look at producing ideas focused around different times of day. I chose to look into this to capture different types of light and in turn different colours. To create these ideas I wanted to use two different approaches looking at two contrasting locations. 


(Untitled, acrylic on foam board, A3)

To create this I wanted to interpret my ideas developed when looking at colour pallets and mark making. I chose to look at the city at night; showing my interpretation of the cool city lights against the night sky showing contrasts between the stationary lights and the moving city traffic. I found creating this rather interesting as I chose to only use a pallet knife to creating fine marks was a challenge but I find the scraping appearance of the texture eye catching. 


(Untitled, acrylic and photo collage on foam board, A3)

In contrast to my previous idea I wanted to show my use of colour and texture by combining paint with my photography which I found particularly interesting during my initial idea stage at the beginning of the project. To apply the paint I again only used pallet knifes varying in size to allow me to create different marks more easily. In contrast to my previous idea this combination of paint and photography created a much softer composition which is less noisy due to a use of finer marks and textures.

In terms of my choices in colour, I wanted to reflect what I see within the composition but this time I wanted to be more specific in what colour pallet I chose. This is in relation to my contextual research into Maurice Utrillo and his series of white paintings. What I find interesting about using a certain range of tones is how you can interpret weather and light in different ways generating atmosphere that is felt in that location. This is also a big part of my project. I want to produce ideas that create an atmosphere that is felt when in a city and I want to create this by my choice in subject matter, lighting, colour and also texture. For example the top image shows rough texture which reflects the movement of city traffic at night and in contrast the bottom image is relatively calm with no traffic.