Drawing - further development.

Continuing with my drawing project focused around crowds of people and the movements created by them, I  have developed my ideas; applying different techniques whilst still looking at ways of generating movement. 
This further development stage of my project I wanted to continue to play around with the compositions of different crowd shapes and densities. I have experimented with backgrounds and shadows to help me show the movement within people and how I see it and want to represent it. 


(Untitled, emulsion on foam board)

To create this idea shown above I wanted to look at the negative of my ideas, the people becoming the highlights rather than the background. For this composition I first painted a thick layer of emulsion onto the foam board surface and using my pallet knife as a tool I scratched away the crowds and shadows. Evaluating the results, I think it is an interesting technique used to create a negative image however comparing it to my previous ideas and choices in media, I think that this interpretation does not continue on the my use of delicate gestural marks.



(Untitled, combination of ink and black emulsion on paper, A3)

With my materials I chose to combine ink with black emulsion making a watery substance that would be easy to apply onto the surface whilst still producing contrasts in dark and light tones. To do this I applied the ink and emulsion using a brush allowing it to drop onto the paper as well as manipulating the ink my self on the paper. Looking at the idea I think this idea seems flat, even though it has depth I don't think it creates a depth that pulls the spectator into the image compared to ideas made previously.



(Untitled, ink wet on wet on paper, A2)

Developing on a previous technique that I found interesting I decided to scale up my ideas that use ink wet on wet scratching into the ink whilst still damp leaving behind my marks. I think that this process helps to complement my subject matter as the lines made are very loose and sketchy creating fine textures that in turn create movement within the composition. With this idea I wanted to play around with adding in background structures to my ideas to give the crowd a solid city location that is apparent to the viewer. I think this is visually appealing in terms of marks made, however this particular arrangement is not effective in terms of depth and density of the crowd. As a composition I don't think this is the most successful. 



(Untitled, ink, charcoal and graphite pencil on paper, A1)

In response to previous development ideas I wanted to record an idea that expresses more depth helping to pull in the viewer. To further develop my use of media that has been working I decided to combine my ink wet on wet technique with willow charcoal and graphite pencil to help define tones and marks made. I think that combining these materials has helped to refine my ideas. I also wanted to continue to use a background as this helps to ground the figures whilst still allowing me to show movement. 

At this point in my project I now feel that I have found a combination of materials that is working, helping me represent my ideas and themes of people and movement. Relating back to my contextual influences in particular; Michal Rovner and James Allen I think that the two influences are coming through in my ideas showing an environment which contains movement of people and shadows as well as structure.