Self Directed - Development continued.

Continuing with my development of colour and composition I decided to experiment a little more with using only colour and texture to create my ideas instead of incorporating my photography into the arrangement. I felt that I had not fully experimented with colours and tone to represent different times of day. When creating these small paintings shown below I chose ideas that were captured at a time of day that I think were quite difficult to represent; late afternoon as it is beginning to get dark so the cool winter colours are heightened against the city lamps and dark shadows created as the sun sets. The colours used are ones which I felt were dominant in the particular location applied using a small pallet knife. I wanted to reflect an atmosphere of a cool winters afternoon showing my interpretation of the location; how I remember it to be, my memory. 

This can be related back to my influences from the white paintings by Maurice Utrillo; he stuck to a limited pallet using white based tones to create a cool atmosphere. My ideas can also relate right back to my research into the work by Sabine Moritz. I feel my work does relate to her ideas in the fact that I am representing atmosphere through my own personal interpretation of colour, almost like a memory.


(Untitled, acrylic on acetate, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic on un primed canvas, A4)

After looking into colour and selecting out the dominant tones showing my interpretation of light and tone, I wanted to play around, incorporating this with my photography adding more formal structure back to my ideas. To do this I stripped my photos of colour so they only consisted of shape in a high contrast monochrome edit. From these I then added colour using my pallet knives as a layer on top of the picture selecting particular areas that I wanted to express making them stand out to the viewer against the dull duo tone of the location. I experimented with applying more or less colour to the pictures and to layer the colour on top I painted onto acetate or placed the acetate over the image to add a contrasting texture to the ideas. I found doing this interesting as I could pick out tones that would contrast against the black and white image behind. This application of high contrast colour and marks related back to my research into Post Impressionism. Even though it is very different, the artists in that group often heightened the colour and texture within their ideas. 


(Untitled, acrylic and acetate on photo, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic and acetate on photo, A5)