London visit Feb 2014.

As a chance to gain extra research and development opportunities for my term 2 self directed projects; my final project as well as my drawing project, me and a few peers decided to organise to go to London for the day allowing us to collect research from life and to also visit galleries to help us with our contextual studies. My aims for this trip was to gain some more ideas to work from looking at night and day compositions and to also capture different densities of crowds throughout the city. As well as this I also found out that the artist Sabine Mortiz, who I focused on for my seminar presentation, had a new show open in London exhibiting her current work which I mentioned towards the end of the presentation. 

(Inside Kashya Hildebrand gallery space exhibiting work by Marwan Sahmarani)

We visited galleries near to oxford circus along East Castle Street. Each gallery exhibited artist of a different style and medium which was refreshing to see. Their were installations, videos, paintings, photography and sculpture. Sabine Moritz was exhibiting in Pilar Corrais. I found it very interesting to see her latest work and it helped that I had researched into her practice as I had a better understanding of why she chose the subject matter she did. As well as this gallery we also went in gettyimages gallery, Kashya Hildebrand, Art First and PI Art works. Going into these small galleries was very inspiring to see as most of the artists exhibited were up and coming showing their first solo exhibition or in contrast they were well established showing their work in a small intimate space.


After visiting these gallery spaces we paid a visit to the National Gallery. With starting art history in term 2 and researching a little into post impressionism for my FMP it was interesting for me to see this work. I feel that having a better knowledge of the ideas and concepts behind these masterpieces I was allowed to appreciate them more.


This short visit to London was very helpful for me in terms of refreshing my ideas giving me more ground to continue my projects. I have been able to gain more research and also contextual suggestions that may be helpful to me or other people.