Self-directed Project - Evaluation.

My intentions with my self-directed project were to explore the themes around the urban environment focusing on colour, light and structure to create atmosphere. I wanted to produce ideas in response to what I experienced myself whilst there, looking at locations during the day and night expressing different colour pallets to show this. It is the atmosphere felt whilst in a bustling city which captures my attention to colour and textures in order to represent the environment. The colours within my ideas show what I see with my own eyes. 


(Oxford Circus 2, acrylic,
 photography & varnish on MDF, A1)

 To begin my project I focused on ideas which expressed perspective and composition from locations in both Leicester and also London. It was from these initial ideas that I began to produce colour responses allowing me to pick out certain tones that I felt were dominant exaggerating what I saw within them to create a strong atmosphere placing the viewer in that situation.

 I experimented with many arrangements looking at ideas during the day and night to allow me to capture contrasting atmospheres through my use of colours and textures. I started off by developing my ideas using paint brushes as well as pallet knives. I found that when using the pallet knife I could apply the colours creating strong textures which in turn emphasis the environment being shown. When developing my ideas I looked at the composition as a whole and also zooming in on particular sections that I felt best expressed ideas of colour and texture without the need to use structures. I found this very interesting as it allowed me to see how I apply colour and texture together to generate ideas of a particular location. However after comparing the two together for me I find painting an environment as a whole more rewarding, looking at perspective as well as colour and texture. I believe using a strong sense of perspective combined with colour and mark making pulls in the viewer’s gaze placing them in that situation.  

This idea of exaggerating a location in terms of colour to help portray what I experienced whilst there came from my initial research into the Post-Impressionists. They came about during the 1880's and were a diverse group of artists who took aspects from impressionism and exaggerated it. For example Van Gogh intensified his already vibrant colours painting them a lot thicker onto the canvas, a technique known as impasto. These bolder brush strokes expressed more energetic ideas. The artists within this group developed a style which focused on the emotional, structural, symbolic and spiritual elements which they believed to be missing from impressionism. I think that the influence the post impressionists had on my ideas is clear. Within my paintings I have exaggerated colour and texture to help create a particular atmosphere reflecting an urban environment and how I experienced it. 

It was during the development stages of my ideas that I found the combination of acrylic paint and photography to be very successful. I found that this process of using textural paint over a focused image generated ideas of memory which further more emphasised my personal interpretation. The picture becomes a captured moment in time, the paint surrounding it representing how I remember it in terms of atmosphere and emotion.  Due to me selecting urban locations I feel that a variety of audiences could relate to my work as they may have felt the same busy over whelming emotions that I did when in particular city environments.  I also feel that I have achieved what I set out to with my own brief to look at urban environments representing them through my own interpretation; what I experienced whilst there.