Self directed - Looking at my paintings in detail.

After painting my large pieces I wanted to look in detail at what I enjoy most about the ideas, picking out sections that would work well as a composition in its self. 


(Above and 1 below - sections taken from 'Oxford Circus 2')


Looking at these sections taken from 'Oxford Circus 2', I chose these due to the intense use of colour which creates a busy atmosphere representing the illuminate lights of a city at night. What I also find interesting about these sections is the application of texture and the contrasts between the large and small marks.


(Above and 2 below - sections from 'Oxford Circus 1')



The three sections presented above are from 'Oxford Circus 1'. I chose these again due to their use of texture and application of the marks made to show structure and contrasts between the dark and light tones. 

Studying all of the sections I have selected from my large scale paintings, I have found that my use of colour and application of texture using a pallet knife, does reflect on a city environment creating a bustling atmosphere even though there is not set image of a city in terms of perspective to give the viewer a certain context. Looking closely at these sections, if I were to recreate them I would have to use a larger pallet knife or depending on how large I wanted to go I would have to reconsider the tools I use. I also think it is clear that I enjoy studying the colours and textures within a composition to create a particular atmosphere and environment to pull in the attention of the viewer. 

As further development for my project I will look at producing ideas that look only at the use of colour and texture to depict a particular location and time of day. To do this I will select sections from previous pieces of work that I find most interesting recreating them using the same colour pallet and direction of marks.