Self directed - Colour & texture.

To further refine my ideas; after previously looking at my paintings in detail, picking out particular sections, I decided to re-paint the sections I enjoy. To do this I looked at my most successful ideas zooming in on sections and then with the colours and a large pallet knife painting the textures scaling up in the process. I chose a variety of sections focusing on different tones of light and texture to allow me to represent different city locations at different times. With these paintings my aim is to show a city environment through the use of colour and texture whilst continuing to focus on my experiences representing the environment with the colours and textures that I see. Relating back to my inspiration taken from the Post Impressionists ideas of exaggerating things through use of vibrant colour and textures; I also wanted to create these ideas to see if adding structure is always necessary when depicting a city environment.


(Untitled, acrylic & varnish on cardboard, A3)


(Untitled, acrylic & varnish on chip board, approx. A2)


(Untitled, acrylic on MDF, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic & white emulsion on cardboard, A2)


(Untitled, acrylic on cardboard, A2)

When selecting these compositions I wanted to look at areas using high contrasts between dark and light tones to help reflect the time of day and also focusing on a particular colour pallet that is most dominant throughout the particular idea. To create these I applied the paint quickly to allow me to show movement within the textures which continues to reflect on a city environment full with the hustle and bustle of life. Looking at my new paintings I can see that cool tertiary colours contrasted with bright tones are often used. This helps to create an urban atmosphere; the tertiary tones depicting the concrete buildings and stone floors. The textures used are very linear and coarse in appearance which emphasises the environment creating a sense of movement, direction and depth pulling in the attention of the spectator. 

When looking at my ideas in detail, homing in on what is was about the paintings I most enjoyed, I have found that it is my application of texture using a pallet knife that allows me to effectively represent a city environment. The textures used are gestural portraying a great deal of movement which in turn enhances the never ending life of a city. 

Comparing these ideas to my paintings which show the environment realistically using perspective and structure, I gain a lot more satisfaction from painting the idea as a scene as opposed to a series of marks. What I enjoy most about painting the location more photographically is being able to enhance to use of perspective combined with colour and texture. This allows me to emphasis the atmosphere, most importantly allowing the viewer to relate to the composition placing them in that busy city environment. The perspective pulls in the spectators gaze, simulating how a city environment can engulf and overwhelm you. In turn this reflects on my own experiences; how I feel in those locations.