Self directed project - 2 paintings.

At this current stage of my self-directed project I have continued to experiment and develop my ideas in particular my uses of colour and structure to create pieces of work that express my interpretation of the scene being depicted. With my ideas I want to generate an urban atmosphere through my use of exaggerated  or soft colours and textures, putting the viewer in that location creating an environment that is bustling with the never sleeping life of a city. 

Throughout my project I have been generating ideas looking at different times of the day; morning, late afternoon, night time. I did this to allow me to apply colours that are either muted by the natural hazy late afternoon light or illuminated by city traffic, street lamps and shops in the evening. As well as this I have also been playing around with my use of texture and incorporation of photography. With my ideas, combining them with my photography I wanted to create a composition that is both blurred and also in focus, a moment captured whilst in the location and then my memory of the environment and how I felt at the time, represented through colour and texture, my own interpretation. 


(Oxford Circus 1, acrylic varnish & photography, A1)


(Oxford Circus 2, acrylic varnish & photography, A1)

During my initial research and development stages of my self-directed project I found it very interesting and enjoyable to create ideas both set in the day and also at night to help me produce different colour in relation to the lighting. I love the contrasts between natural light and artificial light allowing me to creating soft and fluorescent colours yet both creating a sense of urban atmosphere.

These two paintings shown above are my latest pieces of work, two large paintings roughly at A1 size depicting the same location at different times of the day, one during the afternoon and the other late at night.  To create these I used techniques learnt during the development of my work that worked well. I have combined my photography with my painting process. I find that by doing this it helps to emphasis the perspective pulling in the viewers’ attention. It also allows my paint work to seem like a memory showing what I was experiencing at the time, framing the moment captured in that location. I used acrylic paint to create the work, applying the paint using a range of pallet knifes to enable me to make texture and layers of colour to create depth and a sense of movement. The texture created in these helps to reflect on the city scenes being shown; the marks being the sound and movement of the people and traffic.