Drawing Project - Evaluation.

The intentions for my drawing project were to explore the theme of people in a city environment capturing ideas of movement and life. 


(Untitled, mixed media - watercolour, 
ink, charcoal
 varnish & graphite on stretched paper, A1)

To do this I began by recording ideas of people and crowds, drawing quick sketches whilst on location to create a strong atmosphere of life and city living.  Throughout my project I used a variety of arrangements to emphasis depth and density in turn generating ideas expressing noise and movement. I also experimented with media combinations using contrasting materials to show differences in texture, in turn adding to the detail to attract the viewer’s gaze. In the development stages I found that the use of ink together with graphite sticks and charcoal on paper enabled me to use different tones and textures together to help enhance the movement of the subject matter. During this process I also incorporated varnish to add a glossy surface to the dry materials used thus adding another layer helping to generate depth. When refining my ideas I began to use hints of watercolour combined with the black ink to my work which gave my ideas an uplifted atmosphere, creating more life showing the ideas in a positive light as opposed to gloomy monochrome.

Towards the refinement stages of my project, my ideas began to focus purely on the lines and shadows of the people as opposed to drawing the figures true to life placing them in a recognisable scene. This allows the spectator to make their own assumptions of the lines and marks, whether they see them as silhouetted figures or records of noise and movement. One problem that did occur was the use of paper and the fact it would warp due to using a wet on wet technique. To solve this I did try out my media combination onto cardboard but I found that unlike on the cartridge paper, the lines made on the wet ink soaked into the card so you could no longer see them. In response to this I decided to go back to using cartridge paper but by stretching it beforehand so that the paper did not warp so much creating a flat surface. 

The idea of focusing on movement came from my artist research most significantly into the video installation work of Michal Rovner, an artist from Israel. Originally a photography and sculpture based artist, Rovner began to move towards film based work during the 1990's. Her videos depicted crowds of anonymous people, animals and birds often in monochrome.  Her most recent films look at silhouetted figures moving across an environment. The video that most inspired my ideas of movement was her piece called 'Current' which focuses on themes of time and energy. (Follow this link to see 'Current' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3m5sRRnq0) It was this piece that inspired my ideas to develop and focus on the shadows and shapes of the crowds to create movement and depth in turn generating a bustling atmosphere. I think the influence behind my ideas is clear showing positive links between my own ideas and the ideas of my inspiration. 


Evaluating my ideas to my own set brief I believe I have successfully explored the theme of people and crowds capturing them in their environment creating a bustling atmosphere through the use of lines, tone and texture. If I were to continue this project I would focus on how to effectively scale up my ideas whilst still using delicate marks and textures to create movement and depth.