Self directed - Development.

Continuing on from my initial research sketches I have now began to work from my ideas and photographs using colour, interpreting what tones I see within the composition. I wanted to focus on ideas looking at different times in the day to allow me to capture different colours and strengths in light and dark tones. I also wanted to look at painting compositions consisting of crowds and also ideas focusing on structure. As well as this I wanted to show different angles of perspective some with more depth than others to see how the ideas differed. As experimentation I also produced my ideas onto different background like canvas and board to see how easy or difficult it was to apply the paint. Evaluating my work I found painting onto board a lot easier as the paint could be applied smoother with no unwanted marks or textures. To create these ideas I also decided to include elements of photography within my paintings to show contrasts against the areas that I painted. I think that this combination of medias works well as it forces the audience to look more closely at the paintings, looking at the detail of the photograph against the more expressionist marks and colours that complete the idea. In relation to the work my John Virtue researched at the beginning of term 2, I wanted to incorporate texture and colour in a way that generates an atmosphere that reflects city/ urban life attracting the viewer placing them in that situation. 


(Untitled, acrylic and photo collage of canvas, A6)


(Untitled, acrylic and photo on canvas, A6)


(Untitled, acrylic and photo of MDF board, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic and photo on MDF, A3)