Self directed - Development in response to mini crit.

In response to my mini crit and after conducting some research into the contextual references mentioned I decided to experiment with looking at the colour pallets I use/ interpret within my ideas, focusing only on lines, shape and colour as opposed to showing the detail and textures of the buildings. This then links to the idea of my work relating the work of the Post Impressionists like Van Gogh and Derain. This is due to me applying the colour that I see which may not necessarily be what someone else sees. I will heighten some of the colours making them brighter than they really are. This is because I am painting what I see within the environment.  I also wanted to take this opportunity to see what different marks can be made using different tools like pallet knifes, brushes and also larger decorating brushes. 

To begin I decided to look at the colours I see my self within the city areas as a whole without focusing in on anything specific. I applied the colours with no real attention to shape and structure to allow me to experiment with tones more easily and freely. Some of the colour pallets were taken whilst outside in the environment and others were taken from studying my photographic research looking at areas within cities. 


(Untitled, colour pallet, acrylic on paper, pallet knife)


(Untitled, colour pallet, acrylic on paper, pallet knife)


(Untitled, colour pallet, acrylic on canvas, brush and pallet knife)


(untitled, colour pallet, acrylic on canvas, paint brush)

Studying my experimental colour pallets I can see that I interpret what I see using very cool tertiary grey tones and depending on the light or time of day I will add hints of brighter colours to help make the compositions stand out and to also contrast the colours with one another. I can relate my use of tertiary grey colours to the white paintings by Maurice Utrillo. Like those paintings my use in colour has a running theme of grey which appears to feature throughout my current ideas. I find looking at different times of the day very interesting as you can capture the ideas with different lights, some dull, some bright and later at night the sky is illuminated with the city lights below. I will continue to look at my use of colour but also keep my ideas varied looking different times in the day to capture different qualities of light.