Self directed project - Term 2 - Initial Research.

My self directed project for year 1, I am going to be continuing/ developing on my paint project done in term 1. For that particular project I chose the initial theme of 'Urban Environments' and I focused on city structures expressing them through use of colour and mark making. I thoroughly enjoyed this task so wish to continue with that theme for my FMP. I will begin by focusing on structures and the use of light and colour seen through different times of the day and how I interpret them through my eyes. As contrasts I will attempt to represent the city during the day and also night to allow me to express different colour pallets to help reflect the atmosphere of that particular scene. It is the atmosphere of a city which attracts me; capturing my attention to colour and temperature as well as textures. An artist which will be the starting point for my ideas is John Virtue. I came across Virtue whilst visiting galleries in Birmingham and I love the way his work attracts the viewer making them look at the arrangement with great attention to detail. Even though his paintings are blurred the spectator can still see the structures being depicted within the black and white creating a bustling atmosphere that would be felt in a large city.   

I began by taking photographs of city structures and locations that particularly attracted my attention whether it be for the light or the contrasting buildings in that area. For these I found inspiration from my home town of Leicester and also whilst on a visit to London. From these places I also produced simple graphite sketches showing shapes and texture and also the people within the composition. These initial ideas will form as the foundations for my project.


(Untitled, A3, graphite)


(Untitled, A3, graphite)


(Untitled, A3, graphite)