Paint - Canvas and how I may continue my project.

As a part of the term 1 paint project you are required to make a canvas and paint onto it. For my canvas I wanted to apply the processes I have explored throughout this project looking at the use of photography combined with paint. 


(Leicester Square, acrylic paint and photo collage)

To create this painting I wanted to show what I've been exploring throughout this project; texture, city structures, people and use of colour. Firstly I used elements of my photography taken of Leicester square and then using layers of paint on top to complete the arrangement. To apply the paint I used pallet knives ranging in size to allow to create big strokes of paint as well as smaller detailed marks. For my colour pallet I wanted to keep the colours fairly complementary to one another to reflect the stone colours of the buildings with hints of brighter tones to highlight certain parts to attract the viewers eye to the center of the composition. I think that the use of texture and colours creates an atmosphere, a sense of business as people go about their day to day life in the city. Also I find that the subtle detail to the people in the middle of the painting forces the spectator to look the piece with great detail and then in turn focusing on the textures and marks within the structures. 

Relating my project work to my artist influences I think that is is clear as to how they inspired my ideas and also use of colour and mark making. For example Sabine Moritz work is very textural expressing atmosphere and movement.

If I were to further continue this project I would consider looking at urban structures in more detail and also crowds of people and how I represent an urban atmosphere and a city way of living.