Drawing - Refinement of ideas.

To develop and refine my work for the Journey project, applying the processes that have been most successful; photo collage and elements of perspective, I attempted to scale up some of my ideas.


(Untitled, photo collage and graphite, A1)


(Untitled, photo collage and graphite, A1)

Studying my larger scale ideas I think that the first image is more successful in terms of arrangement because the contrast between the photograph and drawing feels more balanced and creates better depth compared to the piece below. However, comparing these against my previous ideas I think that by scaling up they lose some of the fine soft detail expressed in the smaller sketches. However I think it is clear that combining photos and sketches is quite interesting and eye catching as it contrasts what is real and what may or may not be real, almost like a dream like idea. If I were to continue developing the Journey project I would continue with the over all theme of people but I would look at going back to producing a range of smaller scale drawings as opposed to larger pieces to allow me to express more controlled finer detail.