Print - Mono-print.

The set theme for term 1 print project is 'Accumulate and Disperse'. Our task consists of looking at contrasting ways in which things are accumulated and dispersed or an idea that expresses this, whether it be things in the home or outdoors. Our first task was to produce a range of prints produced outside and inside without using the printing studio but exploring different techniques.

In the print lesson we are taken to the print workshop and are shown demonstrations of different printing techniques. I did do the foundation course at De Montfort last year and extremely enjoyed print but it was nice to be reminded of the techniques after such a long summer. The first process we were shown was the process of mono-printing. We used the roller machines for this and also our own hands to create prints direct from the pallet on the work surface. Mono-printing in its basic description is transferring a plate of ink onto paper. The ink cannot be too thick or runny otherwise when sent through the press it would smudge under the pressure of the roller. I would say mono-print is a very quick technique as you do not need to prepare the plate with a drawing or textured surface before hand. 


(Untitled, printing ink on paper, A5)

Above is a print produced using a plate of ink and sending it through the roller. I created this by layering up the ink, beginning with one colour, printing with that and then layering the plate with a range of other colours that would contrast one another. To create the marks I simply use the roller as I wished only rolling it in a certain way on the plate to create lines of colour as opposed to blocks of colour. What I like about this technique is the idea of layering the colours together to give it an almost 'painting' like appearance. 


(Untitled, printing ink on newsprint, A3)

This print was produced in a slightly different way. Instead of inking up a plate, I simply used the work surface as my pallet. I rolled out the ink to the point where I could run the paper across it without it sticking to it. I then placed the paper down lightly onto the rolled out ink and using the end of a paint brush I drew in my idea. This then allows me to draw out an image bringing up the ink only where I have applied pressure. This is a quick and easy process to do without using the roller. 


(Untitled, printing ink on newsprint, A3)

Like the print above this was also produced using the pallet of colour made directly onto the worktop. However instead of using a fine pointed object to draw my idea I applied pressure using my hands. I rubbed on the paper in different ways to create contrasting textures and tones within the ink. Again this technique is very quick and direct allowing you to create an image without using machinery.