Paint - Initial Research.

My chosen theme for term 1 of paint is 'The Urban Environment' and to begin my work for this I started with collecting together research from around Leicester looking at contrasting areas and different subject matter like city structures and crowds of people. I recorded my research in a sketchbook using different media; charcoal, pencil, photographs, ink and paint. As well as using different subject matter/ media I also paid attention to composition when producing my research ideas. To begin with I explored one of the the derelict areas of Leicester known as Frog Island looking at the ruined buildings and textures found within the damaged brick work. 


(Untitled, Pencil on paper, A5)



(Untitled, Ink on paper, A5)



(Untitled, Acrylic using pallet knife on paper, A5)

As well as looking at structures within the urban environment I have also looked at people. To record these ideas I used pencil in order to quickly draw the shapes and movement of the people as they walked through the town center.


(Untitled, Pencil on paper, A5)



(Untitled, Pencil on paper, A5)

I really enjoyed drawing the crowds of people, I like the movement created in my sketches due to my quick drawing technique used in order to capture the life of the people as they walk through the city. Within my sketches of people I have noticed that I seem to avoid facial features. However looking at the drawings I think this adds an interesting atmosphere to them as it makes the people appear anonymous, they are all strangers to one another but are all the equal as they go about their business in the city. 



(Untitled, Painting study on mdf, approx 10cm x 10cm)




 (Untitled, Collage using photograph and pencil, A5)



(Untitled, Quick continuous line drawing in pencil, A5)


After collecting together initial research I will continue on this, looking a contrasting elements within an urban environment. I will look to use different techniques and introduce more detailed paint techniques within my work relating to found artists that have particularly inspired me maybe due to their colour pallet, technique or even choice in subject matter. Plus I think I will consider developing on the concept of movement and life within my ideas because looking through my beginning research I think that the ideas that express some form of movement create a stronger atmosphere that is more appealing and engaging for the viewer compared to the ideas consisting of  a still structure.