Paint - Development.

As development for my paint project I wanted to start by looking at how to depict the idea of movement and the hustle and bustle of life within a city without using people for the moment to see what atmosphere is created. To do this I have looked at transport within a city and also the way in which I paint the ideas. After coming across the artist Sabine Moritz, I felt inspired to paint using slightly thicker and more textural brush strokes within the paintings to help enhance the atmosphere and character within my ideas. 


(Untitled, acrylic on board, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic on Board, A4)


(Untitled, acrylic on board, A4)

The paintings shown above were all done on wooden board using acrylic paint. The first and third paintings were created by applying the colour in thick brush strokes dabbing them quickly onto the surface whilst the paint below was still wet so I could blend together on the board itself. I found this a very interesting way of painting as it creates a slightly distorted image due to the use of large brush marks as opposed to neat and contained brush strokes. Comparing the top and bottom compositions together in my opinion I think that the top painting works a lot better than the bottom because the perspective is stronger and more pronounced where as I found the perspective of the third painting quite challenging as you do not have an obvious vanishing point. The middle painting was produced using finer paint in smoother brush strokes. I did this to help create an idea of speed as the underground train passes through the platform. I began by blocking in the colour of the train and afterwards I used a large brush and while the paint was not quite dry I ran it across the painting in turn creating streaks of colour. This then adds a sense of movement to the train which contrasts well with the rest of the composition which remains still. 


I think to continue on this, I will now look at painting people to allow me to contrast the two ideas of showing movement. However I will continue to look at different compositions like the view of the River Thames, as previously painted because I found that the water in that produced a strong sense of movement and life. But I think that like Moritz I will apply elements of texture within my work to help show atmosphere.