Print - Development

As well as learning the different processes and methods of print we are required to do work in our own time to develop our projects. After visiting the Tate Modern on the London trip I have been very much inspired by the work of Gerhard Richter to explore the use of colour and how it is applied and in this case printed with; the accumulation and dispersion of colour. My intentions are to use the mono-printing technique to capture this idea, but what I am doing could also be classed a process known as 'tonking'. This word originally refers to what painters do when they want to erase something without effecting the rest of the painting, so its the idea of taking something away and I am doing this by printing the pallet I produce. Do do this I have used the work surface as my pallet and create the colours and textures on that surface to then go onto print the patterns made. I focused mostly on the textures created by the ink and the direction in which the ink is moved.


(Untitled, printing ink, A4)


(Untitled, printing ink, A4, with zest-it)


(Untitled, printing ink, A4, after zest-it)

Throughout the process I have been looking at stages at which I can print my colour pallet; the first being the raw block colour and then continuing by distorting the colours using zest-it and fabric to create different textures and to also take away the ink in some places. I find this a very interesting method as it is showing the different colours that can be produced and also the different methods at which you can these. To create the prints shown above I simply placed down the different coloured inks onto the work surface and then using material I dragged the colours across the surface to force them to blend together and produce interesting textures. To create these textures I used the material called scrimp as it is slightly rough in its texture and helps to create interesting lines within the colours. As previously mentioned I then added a liquid called zest-it which waters down the ink eventually dissolving the colour if left long enough. I found that using zest-it forced the colours to blend and mix together in an interesting way producing contrasting textures against the ink that wasn't touched by it. As well as this I also looked at printing with different colours onto different materials as well as in different shapes to show different textures and applications of colour. 


(Untitled, printing ink, on canvas, using zest it)



(Untitled, printing ink, on acetate)

To create the prints shown above I applied a similar process to the one used for the prints spoken about previously. For the first print I created my pallet on the work surface and so that the canvas would pick up the colour more successfully I added a little bit of zest-it onto the canvas its self and then placed it onto the colour pallet. I found the outcome quite interesting but the colours were not as strong as I had hoped. However where the zest-it had picked up colour, they had blended together where as the remainder of the pallet did not mix or spread so created a dry texture on the canvas. The print below was created by placing a piece of acetate onto the pallet. This printed well creating thick texture. But what I did find, is that due to the printing material being completely none absorbent the ink took a long time to completely dry so when put up on the wall the colours dripped down into each other and in some places where the ink wasn't so thick it rippled creating great texture.